clear adjective (ABLE TO BE UNDERSTOOD)
Can we make the sound any clearer? 我們能把聲音再調清晰一點嗎？
do I make myself clear? also is that clear?
- It's written in clear, comprehensible English.
- It became clear that he wasn't developing like all the other little boys.
- Her ideas were clear and logically presented.
- There was a clear family resemblance between all the brothers.
- The silhouette of the bare tree on the hill was clear against the winter sky.
clear adjective (CERTAIN)
[ + (that) ] It is rapidly becoming clear (to me) (that) I'm not suited to being a teacher. 我很快明白到我不適合當老師。
- It's not clear who actually pulled the trigger.
- It isn't clear whether he fell off the balcony, or was pushed.
- In the second experiment they obtained a very clear result.
- It was made quite clear to me that if I stepped out of line again I'd be out of a job.
- It is not clear what caused the explosion, but the police do not suspect foul play.
clear adjective (PURE)
clear glass 透明的玻璃
clear adjective (NOT BLOCKED)
The journey was quite quick because the road was clear (= there was not much traffic on it). 因為交通順暢，所以路上走得很快。
clear adjective (NOT GUILTY)
clear adjective (NOT CONFUSED)
clear adjective (WITHOUT PROBLEMS)
clear adjective (LEFT)
clear adjective (NOT TOUCHING)
clear verb (REMOVE BLOCK)
After my aunt died, we arranged for her house to be cleared (= for the furniture to be removed from it). 我姑媽過世後，我們安排清理了她的房間。
If you press this key, the computer screen will clear (= the text and pictures will be removed from it). 按這個鍵可以清除電腦螢幕上的文檔和圖片。
Shops are currently holding sales to clear their summer stock (= get rid of goods by selling them cheaply). 現在商店都在搞特價促銷來清理夏季庫存。
Paul helped his elderly neighbour by clearing her path of snow/clearing snow from her path. 保羅幫助那位上了年紀的鄰居清掃她家門前路上的積雪。
clear your throat
- The police fired into the air to clear the demonstrators from the streets.
- I've just got to clear all this gubbins off my desk before I start working.
- Menthol can help to clear your nose when you have a cold.
- Use your noddle - clear the shelves before you paint the cupboard!
- It will be several days before snowploughs clear a path to the village.
clear verb (PROVE INNOCENCE)
clear verb (GIVE PERMISSION)
Despite local opposition, the plans for the new supermarket have been cleared by the council. 議會不顧當地居民的反對，批准了建新超市的計劃。
Ladies and gentlemen, air-traffic control has now cleared the plane for take-off. 各位女士，各位先生，飛機已得到空中管制的起飛許可。
clear verb (MAKE PURE)
The children enjoyed stirring the mud at the bottom of the pond, then watching the water slowly clear again. 孩子喜歡攪動池底的淤泥，然後看著水重新慢慢變清。
clear verb (NOT CONFUSED)
clear verb (GET RID OF)
clear verb (HAVE LEFT)
clear verb (CHEQUE)
clear verb (NOT TOUCH)
› not touching, or away from不接觸地；不靠近地；離開