cost noun (MONEY SPENT)
When you buy a new computer, you usually get software included at no extra cost (= for no additional money). 買電腦時通常免費附送軟體。
In most families, two salaries are essential to cover the cost of (= pay for) raising a family. 對許多家長來說，要支付孩子學費雙職薪水必不可少。
The supermarket chain announced that it was cutting the cost (= reducing the price) of all its fresh and frozen meat. 這家連鎖超市宣佈其所有鮮肉和冷凍肉減價銷售。
It's difficult for most people to deal with the rising cost of (= increasing price of) healthcare. 大多數人都難以承受醫療保健費用的上漲。
costs [ plural ]
- Whether or not we go to Spain for our holiday depends on the cost.
- Do you agree with the principle that everyone should pay something towards the cost of healthcare?
- The average cost of a new house has gone up by 5 percent to £76 500.
- Their estimate of the cost of the project was wildly inaccurate.
- My main concern about moving to London is the cost of housing.
cost noun (SOMETHING LOST/GIVEN)
We were going to paint the house ourselves, but when we considered the cost in time and effort, we decided to get a painter to do it for us. 我們本打算自己漆房子，可是考慮到既費時又費力，還是決定請油漆工來做。
The driver managed not to hit the child who ran in front of his car, but only at the cost of injuring himself. 司機避開了在他車前亂跑的小孩，可自己卻受了傷。
She has finally got the job she wanted, but at great personal cost (= she has had to give up other things that were important to her). 她最終得到了想要的那份工作，可是個人付出的代價很大。
- I didn't read the contract fully before I signed it but I'm counting the cost now.
- Victory in the war was achieved at the cost of great human suffering.
- He tried to fight for justice, but in the end the personal cost was too high.
- She supported the refugees at great personal cost.
- I discovered to my cost that he was a violent man.
costverb [ T ]uk /kɒst/ us /kɑːst/
cost verb [ T ] (MONEY)
"How much does this book cost?" "It costs £25." 「這本書多少錢？」「25英鎊。」
cost verb [ T ] (DESTROY)
- Alcoholism cost me my job, my health and finally my family.
- Many of the fans believe that the omission of Heacock from the team cost England the match.
- Ireland squandered several chances, including a penalty that cost them the game.
- They won the war, although it cost them millions of lives.
- Writing the book cost me my job and my marriage.