defence noun (PROTECTION)
The rebels' only form of defence against the soldiers' guns was sticks and stones. 叛亂者只能用木棍和石塊來抵禦士兵們的槍彈。
The war has ended but government spending on defence (= the country's armed forces) is still increasing. 戰爭結束了，但政府用於國防支出卻還在增加。
When Helen criticized me, Chris came/rushed to my defence (= quickly supported me). 海倫批評我的時候，克裡斯趕忙為我辯護。
The book is a closely argued defence of (= something that supports) the economic theory of Keynes. 那本書透過嚴密的論證為凱恩斯的經濟理論進行辯護。
- Whenever anyone criticizes her husband, she immediately jumps to his defence.
- The team has a strong attack, but its defence is weak.
- They put up a sturdy defence of their proposal.
- Huge sums of money are spent on national defence.
- They have been strengthening their border defences in preparation for war.
defence noun (EXPLANATION)