design verb (PLAN)
- In 1960, Pierre Cardin became the first couturier to design men's clothes.
- He's designed dresses for many celebrities, most famously the Queen.
- All our advertising material is designed in-house.
- The building isn't designed very well from the point of view of wheelchair access.
- Adam designed and wrote the software.
design verb (INTEND)
- The advertisements were designed to shock - that was the whole point of the campaign.
- The government has produced a series of leaflets designed to extend public awareness of the dangers of AIDS.
- This course is designed to give drivers a grounding in car maintenance.
- By its nature, terrorism is designed to strike at the heart of our democratic values.
- The new law is designed to protect people's privacy.
design noun (PLAN)
He's studying design in Paris. 他正在大學學習設計。
I don't like the design of this sofa. 我不喜歡這個茶壺的設計。
- The design of the church echoes that of St. Paul's Cathedral.
- There was a very positive response to our new design - people seemed very pleased with it.
- The designs for the new mosque have attracted widespread criticism.
- The fault surely lies in the design of the equipment.
- The car has a serious design fault.
design noun (PATTERN)
design noun (INTENTION)