doubtnoun [ C or U ]uk /daʊt/ us /daʊt/
If there's any doubt about the rocket's engines, we ought to cancel the launch. 如果對火箭引擎還存有任何疑慮，我們都應該取消此次發射。
The prosecution has to establish his guilt beyond reasonable doubt (US beyond a reasonable) doubt. 此次起訴必須證明他所犯的罪行證據確鑿。
This latest scandal has raised doubts about whether he could win the election. 最近的這件醜聞讓人們對他是否稱職表示懷疑。
cast doubt on sth
without (a) doubt
- There is little doubt that poor medical treatment hastened her death.
- There are doubts about the effectiveness of the new drug in treating the disease.
- The government expressed serious doubts about the legitimacy of military action .
- It's quite natural to experience a few doubts just before you get married.
- I always had some doubt about the scheme but I never expressed it.
doubtverb [ T ]uk /daʊt/ us /daʊt/
I don't doubt his abilities. 我並不懷疑他的能力。
doubt sb/doubt sb's word
- I doubt whether it'll work.
- He gave his word that he would marry her and she had no cause to doubt him.
- He'd been behaving so strangely that they began to doubt his sanity.
- I only caught a fleeting glimpse of the driver of the getaway car, but I doubt I would recognize her if I saw her again.
- No one doubted that the president was a man of the highest integrity.