element noun (PART)
- subversive elements in society
- All these different political elements have somehow been yoked together to form a new alliance.
- They've introduced all sorts of new elements to that programme in order to broaden its appeal.
- Reactionary elements in the industry are preventing its progress towards greater efficiency.
- The television adverts were, of course, an important element of the campaign.
element noun (AMOUNT)
an element of sth
- There's always an element of subjectivity in decision-making.
- There's an element of calculation in his behaviour that makes me distrust him.
- There's always an element of sexual innuendo in our conversations.
- I detected an element of envy in what he said.
- There was possibly an element of truth in her accusations.
element noun (SIMPLE SUBSTANCE)
element noun (EARTH, AIR, ETC.)
element noun (WEATHER)
element noun (ELECTRICAL PART)
a heating element 電熱元件