excuseverb [ T ]uk /ɪkˈskjuːz/ us /ɪkˈskjuːz/
B1 to forgive someone原諒；寬恕
No amount of financial recompense can excuse the way in which the company carried out its policy. 這間公司竟如此執行制度，這種行為無論賠多少錢都不能寬恕。
We cannot excuse him for these crimes. 我們無法原諒他犯下的這些罪行。
I asked the teacher if I could be excused from (= allowed not to do) hockey practice as my knee still hurt. 我的膝蓋仍然很痛，因此我向老師請假希望可以不參加足球訓練。
Excuse me, does this bus go to Oxford Street? 打擾一下，請問這輛公車會去牛津大街嗎？
Excuse me, can I just get past? 不好意思，請讓我過一下。
› said before disagreeing with someone（用於表示異議）請原諒，對不起
Excuse me but aren't you forgetting something? 請原諒，但你是不是忘記了些甚麼？
- Will you excuse me? I've got to make a phone call.
- Please excuse my stomach rumbling - I haven't eaten all day.
- I know you are tired, but I really can't excuse you for being so rude and selfish about this.
- She is almost too kind - always excusing their bad behaviour instead of dealing with it firmly.
- Her boss cannot excuse even the smallest error, although he himself is far from perfect.
excusenoun [ C ]uk /ɪkˈskjuːs/ us /ɪkˈskjuːs/
He'd better have a good excuse for being late. 他遲到最好有正當的理由。
I've never known him to miss a meeting - I'm sure he'll have an excuse. 據我所知，他從來沒有缺席過會議——我敢肯定他不來是有原因的。
Any excuse for a holiday! 只要可以去渡假，任何藉口都不成問題！
make your excuses
- When I asked him why he was late, he gave me some excuse about having car trouble.
- I made up an excuse about having to look after the kids.
- I don't want to go tonight but I can't think up a good excuse.
- Whenever I ask him why his essay's late, he just comes out with the same old excuses.
- You're always making excuses for not helping me.