expect verb (THINK)
The financial performance of the business is fully expected (= almost certain) to improve. 公司的財務狀況確定會大有改觀。
We were half expecting you not to come back. 我們原本一直以為你不會回來了。
(only) to be expected
- I don't expect we'll have any more trouble from him.
- Gosh, I didn't expect to see you here!
- I'd expected to put weight on when I gave up smoking, but I didn't.
- Our department expects to make five new appointments this year alone.
- This is your captain speaking. We expect to be landing at London Heathrow in an hour's time.
expect verb (DEMAND)
I expect punctuality from my students. 我要求我的學生守時。