great adjective (BIG)
formal It gives us great pleasure to announce the engagement of our daughter Maria. 我們非常高興地宣佈我們的女兒瑪利亞訂婚了。
I have great sympathy for you. 我對你深表同情。
Catherine the Great 凱瑟琳大帝（指葉卡捷琳娜二世）
the Great Wall of China 中國萬裡長城
- A great number of women used to die in childbirth.
- For a goalkeeper, it's a great advantage to have big hands.
- He's a great comfort to his mother.
- She has finally got the job she wanted, but at great personal cost .
- The pay differential between workers and management is too great.
great adjective (FAMOUS)
This is one of Rembrandt's greatest paintings. 這是倫勃朗最傑出的油畫作品之一。
- The cinematic effects in her films are clearly borrowed from the great film-makers of the past.
- Rome, Carthage and Athens were some of the great city-states of the ancient world.
- Gathered all together in this church, we commemorate those who lost their lives in the great war.
- As a child, he aspired to be a great writer.
- Despite her limitations as an actress, she was a great entertainer.
great adjective (EXTREME)
- We're living in a time of great change.
- The numerous awards on the walls bear witness to his great success.
- It takes great skill to weave a basket from/out of rushes.
- To my great surprise, they agreed to all our demands.
- The George Cross is a decoration that is bestowed on British civilians for acts of great bravery.
great adjective (GOOD)
A1 informal very good美妙的；好極的；很棒的
a great idea 好主意
"How are you feeling now?" "Great." 「現在你的感覺怎樣？」「太好了。」
Oh great ! That's all I need - more bills! 嘿，真絕！該遇上的全遇上了——又來帳單了！
- Everyone says it's a great movie, but I think it's overrated.
- My new hiking boots will be great once I've broken them in.
- Ireland boasts beautiful beaches, great restaurants and friendly locals.
- I think the party was great.
- There's a great film on TV at midnight.
noun [ U ] uk /ˈɡreɪt.nəs/ us /ˈɡreɪt.nəs/
greatadverb [ before noun ], adjectiveuk /ɡreɪt/ us /ɡreɪt/ informal
You great idiot! 你這個大傻瓜！
Pat's a great friend of mine. 派特是我的好朋友。
- They left a great enormous pile of washing-up in the sink.
- Take your great fat hands off my private things, you!
- Who parked that horrible great lorry right outside my window?
- She had a whopping great bruise on her arm.
- He just stood there with a silly great grin on his face.