help verb (MAKE EASIER)
How can I help you? 我如何才能幫你呢？
I wonder if you could help me - I'd like some information about flights to New Zealand. 不知你能否幫我個忙——我想知道一些飛往紐西蘭的相關航班資料。
My dad said he would help with the costs of (= give part of the cost of) buying a house. 我爸爸說他會資助我們買一棟房子。
[ + obj + (to) infinitive ] The $10,000 loan from the bank helped her (to) start her own business. 10 000 英鎊的銀行貸款幫助她創辦了自己的公司。
I feel that learning English will help (= improve) my chances of promotion at work. 我覺得學英語有助我在工作上獲得擢升。
Nothing can help her now (= her situation is too bad for anyone to be able to improve it). 現在沒人能幫得了她。
- The college now has a counsellor to help students with both personal and work problems.
- We've got to enlist some people to help prepare the food.
- Could I have a glass of water to help these pills go down ?
- It's kind of you to offer to help.
- She derived great satisfaction from helping other people.
help verb (STOP YOURSELF)
"Stop giggling!" "I can't help it!" 「別再笑了！」「我忍不住呀！」
help verb (GIVE/TAKE)
- Feel free to help yourself to coffee.
- "May I help myself to some more food?" "Yes, of course."
- I wish my lodger would ask before helping himself to my food.
- My daughter just helps herself to anything she fancies from my wardrobe - usually my only good clothes!
- I'm not sure whether we should be helping ourselves to these snacks - perhaps they're meant for later.
Do you need any help with those boxes? 你需要人幫忙搬那些箱子嗎？
B2 [ S ] something or someone that helps幫上忙的東西；幫手
Having a satnav would be a help. 有一台文字處理機就能幫上忙了。
a home help 家裡的女傭
- The earthquake survivors are in desperate need of help.
- If you can just hold on I'll go and get some help.
- We really appreciate all the help you gave us last weekend.
- More help is needed for people on low incomes.
- If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.