in preposition (INSIDE)
How much is that coat on display in the window (= in the space behind the window of the shop)? 櫥窗內展示的那件大衣多少錢？
I've got a pain in my back. 我背痛。
He's always looking at himself in the mirror (= at the image of his face produced by the mirror). 他老是在鏡子前照來照去。
in preposition (INTO)
in preposition (PART)
in preposition (DURING)
We're going to Italy in April. 我們將在四月去義大利。
Life in the 19th century was very different from what it is now. 19世紀時的生活與現在大不相同。
in preposition (NO MORE THAN)
in preposition (BEFORE THE END)
- We've got two clear weeks to finish the decorating.
- Jim's car has clocked (up) 40 000 miles in less than two years.
- Anyone who's late for work three times in one week gets a written warning from the boss.
- He managed to pay off his debts in two years.
- I'll be seeing Pat in a few days/in a few days' time.
in preposition (EXPERIENCING)
Could I have a word with you in private? 我能私下與你談談嗎？
- They were desperately in love to begin with, but I think it's starting to cool off now.
- He drove so fast that I really felt my life was in danger.
- Although I support the project in public, my private opinion is that it will fail.
- They clung together in terror as the screams grew louder.
- She watched in amazement as the fireworks exploded.
in preposition (EXPRESSED)
Cheques should be written in ink. 支票要用墨水筆填寫。
in preposition (RESULT)
I'd like to do something for you in return/exchange for everything you've done for me. 我想為你做些事來報答你為我所做的一切。
- It is illegal for public officials to solicit gifts or money in exchange for favours.
- I'd like to do something for you in exchange for everything you've done for me.
- Management have granted a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.
- The changes are in response to demand from our customers.
- In reply to their questions, she just shrugged.
in preposition (ARRANGEMENT)
Sometimes customers buy books in twos and threes, but rarely in larger quantities than that. 有時顧客會一次買兩三本書，但很少超過這個數量。
Cut the potatoes in two. 把馬鈴薯切成兩半。
in preposition (AGE/TEMPERATURE)
Nowadays many women are in their late thirties when they have their first child. 如今許多婦女生第一胎時都已經接近40歲了。
Temperatures will be in the mid-twenties (= about 25 degrees). 氣溫將在25度左右。
in preposition (INVOLVED)
- She's hoping to get a job in advertising.
- The troops receive training in a number of different types of warfare.
- She has a degree in French from Manchester University.
- Changes in atmospheric pressure are producing these strange weather conditions.
- There has been a lot of research done in that particular field.
in preposition (WEARING)
in preposition (COMPARING AMOUNTS)
in preposition (CHARACTERISTIC)
in preposition (CAUSE)
In refusing (= because she refused) to work abroad, she missed an excellent job opportunity. 由於拒絕去國外工作，她錯過了一個極好的工作機會。
in that formal
- In helping others, I'm indirectly helping myself.
- Man introduced the grey squirrel to these parts and in doing so effectively wiped out the red squirrel.
- In stepping up your exercise, you are also stepping up your calorie requirement.
- In a sense you are helping her but in doing so, you are also preventing her from helping herself.
- In attracting insects to your garden, you are also attracting birds.
in adverb (FROM OUTSIDE)
be in and out of somewhere informal
- Push the clutch in, put the car into gear, rev the engine and then gently let the clutch out.
- The goalkeeper was caught napping and the ball went straight in.
- We went in by the front door.
- Suddenly the door burst open and police officers carrying guns rushed in.
- You have to take the needle and push it right in.
in adverb (AT PLACE)
in adverb (INSIDE)
in adverb (TRANSPORT)
in adverb (GIVEN)
in adverb (COAST)
The tide comes in very quickly here and you can soon find yourself stranded. 這裡的潮水漲得很快，馬上你就會發現自己被困住了。
in adverb (COMPLETION)
in adverb (SPORT)