join verb (CONNECT)
The A11 joins the M11 south of Cambridge. A11 幹道在劍橋以南與 M11 高速公路交會。
The River Murray and the River Darling join east of Adelaide. 墨瑞河和達令河在阿德萊德以東匯合。
join verb (DO TOGETHER)
We took the ferry across the Channel and then joined (= got on) the Paris train at Calais. 我們乘度船橫過英吉利海峽，然後在加萊上了去巴黎的火車。
I'm sure everyone will join me in wishing you a very happy retirement (= everyone else will do this too). 我相信大家都會和我一樣祝你退休生活愉快。
The police have joined with (= they have begun to work with) the Drug Enforcement Agency in trying to catch major drug traffickers. 警方和緝毒隊聯手抓捕大毒販。
join verb (BECOME A MEMBER)
join the ranks
- They tempted him to join the company by offering him a large salary and a company car.
- We had to pay a stiff membership fee to join the health club.
- He joined the air force in 1964 and spent ten years in the service.
- I've just joined the local golf/squash/tennis club.
- We were surprised when he announced he wanted to join the clergy .