law noun (RULE)
[ + -ing verb or + to infinitive ] Many doctors backed plans for a law banning/to ban all tobacco advertising. 許多醫生都希望能有法律禁止香煙廣告。
go to law
- Many motorcyclists flout the law by not wearing helmets.
- The law forbids the sale of cigarettes to people under the age of 16.
- We're campaigning for a repeal of the abortion laws.
- The police want tougher laws for dealing with drug traffickers.
- The new law will outlaw smoking in public places.
law noun (PRINCIPLE)
Newton's laws of motion 牛頓運動定律
humorous The first law of (= the most important principle in) politics is - if you're going to lie, don't get found out! 政界的首要原則是——如果你打算說謊，就不要讓人發現！