letternoun [ C ]uk /ˈlet.ər/ us /ˈlet̬.ɚ/
letter noun [ C ] (MESSAGE)
- He read her letter aloud to the rest of the family.
- I folded the letter in half and put it in an envelope.
- We try to answer readers' letters as promptly as we can.
- In those days people used to write a lot more letters.
- I had a lovely, long, chatty letter from my friend this morning.
letter noun [ C ] (SYMBOL)
the letter D 字母D
the letter of the law formal
- What letter does it start with?
- How many letters are there in the alphabet?
- Z is the last letter of the alphabet.
- Our names all start with the letter P.
- Letter S is the longest letter in the English dictionary.