line noun (LONG MARK)
a straight line 直線
line noun (ROW)
a line of trees 一行樹
a long line of
line noun (DIVISION)
- The river serves as the line of demarcation between the two counties.
- This path marks the dividing line between my land and my neighbour's.
- The president said NATO expansion will finally erase the boundary line in Europe artificially created by the Cold War.
- The ball rose in a high arc and fell behind the boundary line.
- He thought the ball had bounced on the line, but the umpire said it was out.
line noun (PHONE)
I'm afraid your line's been disconnected because your last bill hasn't been paid. 我估計你的電話線已經被切斷了，因為上次的帳單你還沒付呢。
If you want to air your opinions live on the radio, the lines will be open (= you can phone) from eight o'clock. 如果你想透過電台廣播發表自己的看法，可從八點起撥打電話。
I've got Chris Foster on the line for you. Do you want to take it now or call her back later? 克麗絲‧福斯特打電話找你。你想現在接電話還是過一會兒給她打回去？
line noun (RAILWAY)
line noun (APPROACH TO SUBJECT)
The government's official line has always been to refuse to negotiate with terrorists. 政府的官方立場一貫是拒絕與恐怖分子談判。
The courts should take a tougher line with (= punish more severely) sex offenders. 法庭應對性犯罪者實施更加嚴厲的懲罰。
What sort of line (= method of arguing) do you think we should take in the pay negotiations? 你認為我們在工資談判中應採取哪種策略？
The police are confident that this new line of inquiry will lead them to the murderer. 警方相信採用這種新的調查方法一定會找出兇手。
- Her speech deviated little from the official party line.
- The government can't be seen to be taking a soft line with criminals.
- Ministers who wouldn't toe the party line were swiftly got rid of.
- The government is continuing to take a tough line on terrorism.
- The new head teacher takes a tough line on bullying.
line noun (MILITARY)
line noun (SHAPE)
line noun (SUPPORT)
line noun (COMPANY)
line noun (REMARK)
He keeps giving me that line about not being able to do any work because his computer is down. 他不停地跟我說因為電腦有問題他沒法工作了。
line noun (WORDS)
She hasn't learned her lines yet, and we've got our first rehearsal tomorrow. 我們明天就要進行首次排練了，可她連台詞還沒記熟呢。