- The judge made an example of him and gave him the maximum possible sentence.
- The maximum penalty for the offence is a $1000 fine.
- The maximum load for this elevator is eight persons.
- With this insurance policy there is a maximum payout of £2500.
- The pillars, which are outside the building, are so placed in order to provide the maximum space inside.
maximumnoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˈmæk.sɪ.məm/ us /ˈmæk.sə.məm/ plural maxima maximums
- Panellists on the Arts Review Board serve for a maximum of three years.
- We drove at 60 miles per hour, which is the maximum allowed.
- We can accommodate a maximum of 20 people.
- You can spend a maximum of £100.
- I had four drinks, which was the maximum allowed.