need verb (MUST HAVE)
informal I don't need all this hassle. 我不想這樣爭論不休。
- He needs some climbing boots.
- You need 250 g of grated cheese for this recipe.
- All she needed to complete her happiness was a baby.
- I called her on the pretext of needing more information.
- We need a coat hook on the back of this door.
need verb (MUST DO)
A1 [ + to infinitive or + infinitive without to ] to have (to)必須，不得不
There needs to be more effort from everyone.
Nothing need be done about this till next week. 下周之前在這方面不必做甚麼。
sb/sth needn't do sth UK
sb needn't do sth UK
sb didn't need to
I gave her some extra money - I know I didn't need to but I thought it would be kind. 我多給了她一些錢——我知道沒有必要，但我想表示善意。
sb needn't have done sth UK
You needn't have washed all those dishes, you know - I'd have done them myself when I got home. 你本來不用洗那些碗碟的，你知道——我回家後自己會洗的。
- We'll need to check out his story.
- I need to get those films processed.
- In the past, a woman needed to be chaste to make a good marriage.
- He spun some tale about needing to take time off work because his mother was ill.
- The city needs to attract more industry.
Are you in need of help? 你需要幫助嗎？
needs B2 [ plural ]
If need/needs be (= if necessary), we can take a second car to fit everyone in. 如果需要的話，我們可以再叫輛車，讓大家都坐上去。
be no need to do sth
I understand why she was angry, but there was no need to be so nasty to him. 我明白她為何生氣，但也沒必要對他這麼粗暴無禮。
- There's a crying need for a better education system.
- The findings of this survey are demonstrative of the need for further research.
- There is a tremendous need for more low-cost housing.
- Will future oil supplies be adequate to meet world needs?
- It's not by any means a brilliant salary but it's adequate for our needs.