power noun (CONTROL)
I've no power over him - he does what he wants to. 我管不了他——他想幹甚麼就幹甚麼。
- After eight years in power, the government can no longer use the previous government's policy as an alibi for its own failure.
- Until the constitution is amended, the power to appoint ministers will remain with the president.
- Fair trade, say Oxfam, is about giving poor people power.
- The army took control of the city after the president's fall from power.
- Most modern kings and queens rule only in a formal way, without real power.
power noun (STRENGTH)
- The pictures were an eloquent reminder of the power of the volcano.
- The Kon-Tiki sailed across the Pacific Ocean propelled by wind power.
- I was so terrified I seemed to lose all the power from my legs.
- It is astonishing to see the sheer power of this extraordinary athlete.
- The power of her religious faith is clear for all to see.
- We were struck by the power of the dancers' performances.
power noun (OFFICIAL RIGHT)
[ + to infinitive ] I'd like to help but I don't have the power to intervene in this dispute. 我很想幫忙，但我無權介入此糾紛。
powers [ plural ]
- Since the government limited their powers, the unions are no longer a force to be reckoned with .
- I'll do everything within my power as a lawyer to achieve justice for you.
- The power to sack employees resides in the Board of Directors.
- He has been vested with the power to implement whatever changes he sees fit.
- They have the power to say yes or no to big investment projects.
power noun (ELECTRICITY)
- Most of the data on the hard drive was corrupted by the power cut.
- Solar power is the conversion of the sun's energy into heat and electricity.
- The storm has affected power lines all over the region.
- a hydroelectric power station
- a nuclear power plant
power noun (ABILITY)
powers [ plural ]
- Environmentalists are doing everything within their power to minimize the impact of the oil spill.
- We humans believe that we are the only animals to have the power of reason.
- Solving this problem has taken all my brain power.
- I'll do everything in my power to help you, but I can't guarantee success.
- Why don't you use your powers of persuasion to convince them?
power noun (PERSON WITH CONTROL)
Germany is on its way to becoming a world power with a permanent seat on the UN Security Council. 德國正在努力成為世界強國，謀求成為聯合國安理會常任理事國。
- a dominant military power
- This country would never submit to living under the heel of a foreign power.
- an imperialist power
- The major powers have said they will not send in ground troops .
- It's up to the powers that be to decide what should be done next.
power noun (ENERGY)
The ship was only slightly damaged in the collision and was able to sail into port under its own power. 船在撞擊中只是輕微受損，仍可依靠自身的動力駛入港口。
power noun (IMAGE SIZE)