present noun (SOMETHING GIVEN)
- We're having a collection for Tom's retirement present.
- They got an entire set of silver cutlery as a wedding present.
- I was looking for a birthday present for my mother but I didn't find anything suitable.
- Aren't you going to unwrap your presents?
- The children squealed in delight when they saw all the presents under the Christmas tree.
present noun (NOW)
the present B1 [ S ]
present adjective (IN A PLACE)
There were no children present. 沒有孩子在場。
- Mind your language - there are ladies present!
- Is it necessary for all of us to be present at the meeting this afternoon?
- Melanin is the dark brown pigment of the hair, skin, and eyes that is present in varying amounts in every human being.
- More men are present at the births of their children these days.
- There ought to be an adult present at all times, when there are young children in the pool.
present adjective (NOW)
I don't have her present address. 我不知道她現在的地址。
- Charlie has a clever plan for getting us out of our present difficulties.
- Unlike the present government, we believe in serving the community.
- The present system of payment will remain in effect until the end of the rental agreement.
- The present voting system distorts the wishes of the electorate.
- Are you feeling frustrated in your present job?
presentverb [ T ]uk /prɪˈzent/ us /prɪˈzent/
present verb [ T ] (GIVE)
The classroom presented a cheerful busy atmosphere to the visitors (= appeared to them to have this). 全班在訪客面前展現出一派快樂繁忙的氛圍。
- He has a lot more work to do before he can present the scheme to the public.
- Ruth was astonished when he presented her with an engagement ring.
- She presented a well-argued case for the banning of smoking in public places.
- She graciously accepted the flowers that were presented to her.
- The Duchess of Kent will be presenting the trophies.
present verb [ T ] (INTRODUCE)
She presents the late-night news. 她主持午夜新聞。
May I present Professor Carter? 請允許我介紹卡特教授。
Later on I'd like to present you to the headteacher. 過一會兒我會把你引見給校長。
present itself C2
- I'd like to present my grandson, Jackson Junior.
- He was presented to the Queen and given a knighthood.
- She used to present one of those holiday programmes but now she reads the news.
- May I present Sir Bob Geldof?
- What was that documentary called that she used to present?