quarter noun (FOURTH PART)
a quarter of an hour
a quarter to two, three, etc. A1 also US a quarter of two, three, etc.
a quarter past two, three, etc. A1 also US a quarter after two, three, etc.
- The fall in the value of the yen might result in a fractional increase in interest rates of perhaps a quarter of one percent.
- Road accident victims make up almost a quarter of the hospital's patients.
- He inherited a quarter of a million pounds on his mother's death.
- A quarter of the contents of an average family's dustbin is organic matter.
- A quart is so called because it is a quarter of a gallon.
quarter noun (AREA)
quarter noun (PEOPLE)
Help came from an unexpected quarter. 伸出援手的是個意料之外的人。