rivernoun [ C ]uk /ˈrɪv.ər/ us /ˈrɪv.ɚ/
A1 written abbreviation R used before or after the name of a river（通常用於河流名稱前，有時位於河流名稱後）河
the River Thames/Seine/Nile 泰晤士河
the Hudson/Mississippi/Yangzte River
up (the) river
- Changing the course of the river would cause serious environmental damage to the whole valley.
- Effluents from local factories are finding their way into the river.
- Several small streams feed into the river near here.
- We want clean rivers and lakes, where you can swim without risk to your health.
- They're building new houses by the river.