run verb (GO QUICKLY)
run for sth
run on the spot UK US run in place
run verb (TRAVEL)
A bus runs (= goes on a particular route at particular times) three times a day into town. 有一趟公共汽車每天三次開往城裡。
The route/railway/road runs (= goes) across the border/into Italy/through the mountains. 這條路線／鐵道／公路穿過國界／通向義大利境內／在群山中穿行。
run verb (OPERATE)
The mechanic asked me to run the engine (= switch it on and allow it to work) for a minute. 修車工人讓我發動引擎轉一分鐘。
We're running (= doing) an experiment. 我們正在做一個試驗。
run a tight ship
- We must impose some kind of order on the way this office is run.
- Modification of the engine to run on lead-free fuel is fairly simple.
- Feedback from the sensors ensures that the car engine runs smoothly.
- The engineer soon got the air-conditioning running again.
- We are running below capacity because of cancelled orders.
run verb (FLOW)
I must have washed my dress at too high a temperature, because the colour has run. 我洗這件裙子時用的水肯定太熱了，因為都褪色了。
If the first layer isn't dry before you add the next one, the colours will run into each other (= mix). 如果第一層沒有幹就塗上第二層，那兩層的顔色就會滲在一起。
run verb (BECOME)
run verb (HOLE)
run verb (SHOW)
run verb (POLITICS)
run verb (TAKE)
run noun (GO QUICKLY)
run noun (TRAVEL)
The musical's London run was a disaster. 該音樂劇在倫敦的演出徹底失敗。
They're doing a run at the Cambridge Playhouse. 他們正在多瑪倉庫劇院主行連續演出。
- England's unbeaten run of ten games ended last night when they went down 4-2 to France.
- Her run of bad luck continued when she had her purse stolen.
- After a successful run on Broadway the musical is coming to the West End.
- The school run in the morning increases congestion on the roads.
- The bus broke down on its run between Brighton and London.
run noun (BUY)
run noun (SELL)
run noun (SERIES)
run noun (ORDINARY)
run noun (AREA)
run noun (POINT)
a home run 本壘打
- Pakistan declared at 350 for 7, leaving Australia to make an unlikely 5 runs an over to win.
- It isn't easy to score runs against pace bowlers.
- A single to extra cover brought him the run he needed to complete his century.
- Thorpe scored most of his runs on the leg side.
- England scored 158 runs before lunch for the loss of only one wicket.