serve verb (PROVIDE FOOD/DRINK)
Breakfast is served in the restaurant between 7.00 and 11.00. 餐廳早上七點到九點供應早餐。
All recipes in this book, unless otherwise stated, will serve (= be enough for) four to five people. 本書裡的所有食譜，除了特別標明的，都可供四至五人享用。
- Both recipes serve four easily.
- They serve pretty decent food in the cafeteria.
- They didn't even serve wine at dinner.
- I usually serve dessert with coffee.
- Breakfast is served in the dining room from 8.30–10.
serve verb (WORK)
He served under Ronald Reagan as Secretary of State. 他在哈羅德‧威爾遜手下當交通部長。
- He served for eight years as Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- Police officers aren't usually allowed to be serve on a jury.
- Panellists on the Arts Review Board serve for a maximum of three years.
- A police officer is there to enforce the law as well as to serve the local community.
- A minister's primary obligation is to serve the public.
serve verb (HELP ACHIEVE)
In the absence of anything better the settee could serve as a bed for a couple of nights. 如果沒有更好的選擇，長沙發可以當幾天床用。
[ + to infinitive ] Nothing serves to explain the violent fighting we have seen recently. 甚麼都無法解釋我們最近所目睹的暴力毆鬥。
- She has a very forceful personality which will serve her well in politics.
- Tougher prison sentences may serve as a deterrent to other would-be offenders.
- The spare bedroom also serves as an office.
- Do the exercises serve any useful purpose?
- The museum serves as a reminder of this terrible episode in recent history.
serve verb (PROVIDE STH NECESSARY)
- Heraklion airport serves the eastern resorts.
- This one company serves the entire West coast.
- The rail network serves the southeast of the country.
- These post offices serve the needs of the local communities.
- Hydro-power serves the most isolated communities in Scotland.
serve verb (DEAL WITH CUSTOMER)
UK Are you being served, madam? 女士，有服務員招待您嗎？
US Have you been served, ma'am?
serve verb (SPEND TIME)
serve verb (HIT BALL)
serve verb (GIVE DOCUMENT)
Less than two weeks ago Gough finally served a writ on Slater, claiming damages for alleged loss of royalties. 不到兩個星期以前，高夫終於將傳票送達給斯萊特，要求對其所涉及的版稅損失作出賠償。