show verb (MAKE SEEN)
[ + obj + -ing verb ] The secretly filmed video shows the prince and princess kissing. 秘密拍攝的影帶中出現了王子和王妃接吻的畫面。
show verb (RECORD)
The right-hand dial shows the temperature, and the left-hand one shows the air pressure. 右面的刻度顯示溫度，左面的刻度顯示氣壓。
show verb (EXPLAIN)
show verb (PROVE)
Show me (that) I can trust you. 證明給我看，讓我可以相信你。
- Does the market research show that the product will succeed commercially ?
- The opinion polls show the three election candidates in a dead heat (with each other).
- These facts alone show that he's not to be trusted.
- Empirical studies show that some forms of alternative medicine are extremely effective.
- Surveys show that animal welfare has recently become a major concern for many schoolchildren.
show verb (EXPRESS)
- The new daytime soap opera has yet to show signs that it's clicking with the television audience.
- I was hoping she might show a little compassion.
- Could you turn your music down and show a little consideration for the neighbours!
- We need to show a bit of cunning if we want to trick the enemy.
- We are demonstrating to show our anger and disgust at the treatment of refugees.
show verb (NOTICEABLE)
"Oh no, I've spilled red wine on my jacket!" "Don't worry, it doesn't show." 「啊，糟了，我把葡萄酒灑到夾克上了！」「沒事，看不出來。」
The drug does not show up in blood tests because it is effective in very small quantities. 血液檢驗不會發現這些藥物，因爲只需極小的劑量它就能發揮作用。
When we moved in, the house hadn't been decorated for 20 years, and it showed. 我們搬進去時，那房子已有20年沒有裝修了，這看得出來。
show your age
show verb (PUBLIC EVENT)
show verb (LEAD)
show verb (FAIL TO HIDE)
show verb (MAKE UNDERSTAND)
show noun (ENTERTAINMENT)
- People came from afar to see the show.
- She comperes that awful game show on Saturday night.
- A crowd congregated around the entrance to the theatre, hoping to catch a glimpse of the stars of the show.
- The Circus has been described as the greatest show on earth .
- We can either eat now or after the show - it's up to you.
show noun (PUBLIC EVENT)
They put on a retrospective show of his work at the National Museum of American Art. 他們在美國國家藝術博物館爲他舉行了一次作品回顧展。
show noun (EXPRESSION)
In a show of solidarity, the management and workers have joined forces to campaign against the closure of the factory. 管理階層和工人們出人意料地團結一致，共同反對關閉工廠。
show noun (FALSE APPEARANCE)
Despite its public show of unity, the royal family had its share of disagreements just like any other. 儘管在大眾面前表現得很團結，實際上王室和其他家庭一樣也存在著分歧。