speech noun (SAY WORDS)
Some expressions are used more in speech than in writing. 有些表達方式在口語中比書面語中用得多。
speech noun (FORMAL TALK)
I had to give/make a speech at my brother's wedding. 我得在我弟弟的婚禮上致詞。
The Governor of New York delivered a rousing speech to the national convention. 紐約州州長在全國代表大會上作了激動人心的發言。
He gave the after-dinner speech (= a talk given after a formal evening meal at which a large number of people are present). 他在晚宴後作了演說。
- Her speech was received with cheers and a standing ovation.
- She closed the meeting with a short speech.
- The vicar's forgetting his lines in the middle of the speech provided some good comedy.
- Her speech caused outrage among the gay community.
- She concluded the speech by reminding us of our responsibility.