spreadverb [ I or T ]uk /spred/ us /spred/ spread
It started off as cancer of the liver but it spread to other areas of the body. 開始的時候是肝癌，後來擴散到了身體的其他部位。
The virus is spread (= given to other people) through contact with blood and other body fluids. 愛滋病毒透過血液及其他體液的接觸而傳染。
She spread her toast with a thick layer of butter./She spread a thick layer of butter on her toast. 她在吐司上塗了厚厚的一層牛油。
spread noun (AREA COVERED)
- The chief problem we have in the area now is the spread of disease.
- The government is trying to allay public fears about the spread of the disease.
- The treatment has so far done little to arrest the spread of the cancer.
- The mountains acted as a natural barrier to the spread of the disease.
- The Swedes are not alone in finding their language under pressure from the ubiquitous spread of English.