stakenoun [ C ]uk /steɪk/ us /steɪk/
stake noun [ C ] (SHARE)
have a stake in sth
- He has no financial stake in the company.
- With a 50 percent stake in the company, it must be tempting to cash it in.
- Walker will retain a 30 percent stake in the business.
- They had planned to buy a 20 percent stake in the company.
- He left his wife and family a 38 percent stake in the largest store group in the world.
stake noun [ C ] (RISK)
the stakes [ plural ]
the beauty, popularity, etc. stakes
raise/up the stakes
- I gamble occasionally, but only for small stakes.
- What are the stakes?
stake noun [ C ] (STICK)