stand verb (VERTICAL)
As a sign of politeness you should stand (up) when she comes in. 她進來時你應該站起來以示禮貌
Stand still and be quiet! 站好了，不要出聲！
- Don't stand out there in the cold - come in here and get warm.
- The audience clapped and cheered when she stood up to speak.
- They stood on the street corner handing out leaflets.
- We stood huddled together for warmth.
- She stood up to address a hushed courtroom.
stand verb (STATE)
[ + to infinitive ] Our firm stands to lose (= will lose) a lot of money if the deal is unsuccessful. 如果這筆交易不成的話，我們公司會損失一大筆錢。
We really can't allow the current situation to stand (= to exist in its current form). 我們確實不能允許目前的狀況再繼續下去了。
Newton's laws of mechanics stood (= were thought to be completely true) for over two hundred years. 牛頓力學定律曾經無人撼動達200多年之久。
Leave the mixture to stand (= do not touch it) for 15 minutes before use. 將一小袋麵糊加入兩升水調勻，然後靜置至少15分鐘待用。
It would be difficult for her to stand much lower/higher in my opinion (= for me to have a worse/better opinion of her) after the way she behaved at the party. 她在派對上的表現讓我對她的印象不能再差／再好了。
She's very blunt, but at least you know where you stand with her (= you know what she thinks and how she is likely to behave).
- Inflation currently stands at three percent.
- The current total stands at £30,000.
- He stands to benefit from the situation.
- Eight years later the building stands empty.
- The theatre has been left to stand derelict.
stand verb (PLACE)
no standing US UK no waiting
- His walking stick stood by the door.
- You'll have to stand the sofa on its end to get it through the door.
- Could you stand the bookcase against that wall, please?
- There was a big chest of drawers standing in one corner.
- In the centre of the hall stood a colossal wooden statue, decorated in ivory and gold.
stand verb (ACCEPT)
I can't stand her voice. 我受不了她的聲音。
- Personally, I can't stand her.
- I can't even stand the smell.
- I can't stand being cold.
- He can't stand the sight of her.
- I can't stand the thought of waiting so long.
stand verb (POLITICS)
stand verb (HEIGHT)
stand verb (BUY)
stand verb (OPINION)
stand noun (SPORT)
stand noun (OPINION)
stand noun (COURT)
stand noun (SHOP)
a hotdog stand 熱狗攤
Over three thousand companies will have stands at this year's microelectronics exhibition. 今年的微電子産品展覽會上將會有3000多家公司參展。