stop verb (FINISH)
I couldn't stop laughing. 我忍不住笑個不停。
Stop it!/Stop that! 住手！
My watch must have stopped. 我的手錶一定是停了。
Apparently she's stopped drinking. 顯然，她戒酒了。
Does this train stop at Finsbury Park? 這班列車會停靠芬斯伯裡公園嗎？
- Oh, stop moaning!
- Stop hassling me!
- She stopped speaking for a moment and looked out of the window.
- I couldn't stop crying.
- I've stopped trying to help her.
stop verb (PREVENT)
Something must be done to stop the fighting. 必須做點甚麼來制止爭鬥。
stop a cheque UK US stop a check, stop payment on a check
- I can't stop her from seeing him.
- My mum stopped me from going.
- Health workers are trying to stop the disease from spreading.
- We are doing everything we can to stop the situation from getting worse.
- If he really wants to do it I can't stop him.
stop verb (STAY)
Are you coming with me or are you stopping here? 你是和我一起走，還是留在這裡？
Now that you're here, why don't you stop for some tea? 既然你已經來了，為甚麼不留下來喝杯茶呢？
I've been out every night this week, so I thought I'd stop in (= stay at home) tonight. 這個星期，我每個晚上都在外面，所以今晚想留在家裡。
- After stopping for a quick drink, they continued on their way.
- She ambled down the street, stopping occasionally to look in the shop windows.
- I won't stop - I'm in a bit of a rush.
- Shall we stop here for a while?
- We're hoping to make up time on the return journey by not stopping at night.
stop verb (BLOCK)
stopnoun [ C ]uk /stɒp/ us /stɑːp/
We'd have been here sooner, but we made several stops along the way. 我們本來可以早點到這裡的，但我們中途停了好幾次。
a bus stop 公車站
I'm getting off at the next stop. 我下一站下車。
Is this our stop (= where we must get off)? 我們是這一站下嗎？
› UK short form of full stop noun句號
put a stop to sth
- The car came to a stop in front of an old cottage.
- We had a stop halfway through the journey and got some food.
- We made a couple of stops on the way so that Milly could go to the toilet.
- Is this your stop?
- We had an overnight stop in Singapore.