time noun (MINUTES/DAYS/YEARS)
Over the course of time (= as years have gone past), holes have formed in the rock. 隨著歲月的流逝，岩石上出現了洞眼。
If you'd taken more time with/over (= spent more time doing) this essay, you could have done it much better. 如果你在這篇文章上多花些時間，本可以寫得好得多。
in no time C1 also in next to no time
no time to lose
for all time literary
I will love you for all time. 我會永遠愛你。
of all time
- I'd like some time to consider before I make a decision.
- If we cut across the field, it'll save time.
- She spends a good deal of her time in Glasgow.
- How much time do you allow yourself to get ready in the morning?
- A considerable amount of time and effort has gone into this exhibition.
time noun (SYSTEM)
time noun (TIME AVAILABLE)
B1 If you have time, you have enough time to do something.有時間
run out of time
be (all) out of time
time's up informal
time noun (PERIOD)
After a time, it became clear that nobody was interested in coming to the meetings. 起初我很喜歡修習這課程，但過了一段時間後就厭煩了。
That was the best restaurant I've been to for/in a long time (= a long period has gone past since I went to such a good restaurant). 那是我很長一段時間以來去過最好的餐廳。
It was some time ago that I last heard from her. 我最後一次收到她的信已有一段時間了。
During her time (= while she was) in office, the prime minister introduced a large number of changes. 首相在執政期間推行了多項改革。
have/take time off
for a time
for the time being
- I cherish the memories of the time we spent together.
- Childhood is not always a happy time.
- She has a difficult time ahead of her.
- Being out of work for a long time is very demoralizing.
- Have we got time for a quick drink?
time noun (PARTICULAR POINT)
What time is it? 現在幾點了？
mainly UK "What's the time?" "It's ten o'clock." 「現在甚麼時間？」「十點。」
What time do you finishwork? 你甚麼時候完成工作？
Have you got the time? (= Do you know what time it is?) 你知道幾點嗎？
He's teaching his daughter to tell the time (= to recognize what time it is by looking at a clock). 他在教女兒看鐘錶。
When would be a good time for me to call you? 我甚麼時候合適給你打電話？
"What would be the best time of day for us to deliver the table?" "Oh, any time will be OK." 「我們甚麼時候送桌子最合適？」「哦，甚麼時候都行。」
Today's temperatures will be normal for the time of year (= will be as they are expected to be in this season). 今天的氣溫會和往年此時的平均氣溫一樣。
Just think, this time (= at the same particular point during) next week we'll be in Aruba. 想想吧，下星期這個時候我們就在模裡西斯了。
We regret that at the present time (US also at this time) we are unable to supply the products you ordered. 很遺憾，我們現在無法供應您訂的貨。
at the time
at your time of life
- What time would it be convenient for me to come round?
- By the time the meal began, the youngest children were getting tired and crotchety.
- I might go to the cinema tomorrow - it depends what time I get home from work.
- The train was empty by the time it reached London.
- The exact time of the accident was 2.43 pm.
time noun (SUITABLE POINT)
holiday time 假期
party time 玩樂時間
It's time (that) I was leaving. 我該動身了。
The repairs to the road were finished two weeks ahead of time (= sooner than was expected). 道路維修工程提前兩星期完成。
Why is it that the buses never run on time (= make their journeys in the expected number of hours, etc.)? 為甚麼火車從不準時？
(right/dead/bang) on time informal
ahead of time mainly US
about time C1 also high time informal
about time UK also about time too, not before time informal
- It's time we dug up those potatoes.
- Many politicians argued that this was no time to disarm .
- The submarine dived just in time to avoid the enemy attack.
- Drink up! It's time to go.
- Borrowers are expected to return books on time.
time noun (OCCASION)
The four-times champion (= the champion on four occasions in the past) was defeated in the second round. 這名曾四度奪冠的選手出人意料地在比賽的第二輪就被打敗了。
If I'd known at the time (= then) that she was his former wife, I'd never have said what I did. 我當時要是知道她是他前妻的話，我就不會那樣說了。
Someti`mes I enjoy my English classes, but at other times I find them really boring. 有時我很喜歡英語課，但有時也感覺很枯燥。
For the umpteenth/hundredth/thousandth time, (= I've told you on many occasions to) stop teasing your sister. 我無數次／上百次／上千次告訴過你，別再打你妹妹。
Did you have a bad/good time (= an unpleasant/enjoyable experience) at the conference? 你在大會上感到不舒服／舒服嗎？
from time to time
B2 sometimes, but not often偶爾，有時
From time to time I still think of her. 我偶爾還會想起她。
time after time
time and (time) again
at all times
at (any) one time also at a time, also at any given time
the times UK
- The announcement came at a bad time.
- Don't be daft - let me pay - you paid last time.
- Every time I ring her, the phone is engaged.
- I fell in love with him the first time I saw him.
- I was embarrassed at the time, but I had a good laugh about it later.
time noun (HISTORICAL PERIOD)
"A Tale of Two Cities" is set at the time of the French Revolution. 查理斯‧狄更斯的小說《雙城記》是以法國大革命時期為背景的。
In/During medieval times, women thought to be witches were burned at the stake. 中世紀時期，人們把被認為是女巫的女人在火刑柱上燒死。
He is widely regarded as one of the best writers of modern/our times (= the present or very recent past). 人們普遍認為他是現代／我們這個時代最優秀的作家之一。
at one time C2
› in the past過去；一度
At one time, George Eliot lived here. 喬治‧艾略特曾一度住在這裡。
ahead of your time UK also before your time
before sb's time
- These coins were used in Roman times.
- My novel is set in the time of the French Revolution.
- I don't suppose we'll find life on Mars in my time.
time noun (RACE)
time noun (MUSIC)
This piece is written in 4/4 time. 這支曲子是四分之四拍的。
Small children often have difficulty singing in time with the music (= at the same speed at which the music is being played). 幼兒唱歌時常常難以與音樂合拍。
It seemed to me as if the violins were playing out of time (= at a different speed from the other instruments playing the same piece of music). 我覺得小提琴似乎不合拍。
To beat time is to make a regular series of sounds at the same speed as a piece of music is played. 打拍子就是跟著音樂的節奏製造出一系列有規律的聲響
time noun (PRISON)
time noun (DRINKING)
timeverb [ T ]uk /taɪm/ us /taɪm/
time verb [ T ] (ARRANGE)
If you time your departure carefully, you should be able to miss the worst of the traffic. 如果精心安排好出發的時間，你應該能夠避開交通堵塞最嚴重的時段。
- They timed the book to coincide with the film release.
- They timed the trip for after the end of their project.