vetonoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈviː.təʊ/ us /ˈviː.t̬oʊ/ plural vetoes
In theory the British government could use its veto to block this proposal. 理論上英國政府可以利用否決權來阻止這項議案通過。
- Opponents are unlikely to be able to muster enough votes to override the veto.
- The president used his veto to override the committee's decision.
- The chairwoman used her veto to block the appointment.
vetoverb [ T ]uk /ˈviː.təʊ/ us /ˈviː.t̬oʊ/
In 1961, President De Gaulle vetoed Britain's entry into the Common Market. 1961年，戴高樂總統行使否決權，反對英國加入西歐共同市場。
- The president has the power to veto the imposition of sanctions.
- Managers vetoed proposals for a shorter working week.
- My father vetoed our plans for a trip to Turkey.