wish verb (FEEL SORRY)
I wish (that) you were coming with me, Peter. 彼得，你要是和我一起去就好了。
I wish (that) I hadn't eaten so much. 我真希望自己沒吃那麼多。
- I almost wish I hadn't invited him.
- I wish I hadn't overindulged so much last night.
- He wished he was more muscular.
- He now wishes he'd never tried to fix the toaster himself.
- I wish I'd never volunteered to do the washing up.
wish verb (WANT)
As you wish, Sir. It will be done.
I wish (that)...
- I wish you'd stop making cheap jokes about my friends.
- I wish you'd do something about your bedroom - it's a real mess.
- I wish they wouldn't fight in front of the kids.
- I wish I could find the time to do more reading.
- I do wish you'd stop going off with my car without asking me beforehand.
wish verb (HOPE)
I didn't even see her to wish her a happy birthday/wish a happy birthday to her. 我甚至沒能見到她，當面祝福她生日快樂。
wish verb (MAGIC)
[ + that ] I remember blowing out the candles on my birthday cake and wishing that John Lee would be my boyfriend. 我記得吹滅生日蛋糕上的蠟燭，並默默希望約翰．李能成為我的男朋友。
If I could wish myself anywhere in the world (= go anywhere as a result of making a wish) right now it would be somewhere hot and sunny. 如果現在我想去甚麼地方就能去甚麼地方的話，我希望去一個暖風撲面陽光明媚的地方。
wishnoun [ C ]uk /wɪʃ/ us /wɪʃ/
wish noun [ C ] (WANT)
- She sold the house even though it was against his wishes.
- How can the government ignore the wishes of the majority?
- In accordance with her wishes, she was buried in France.
- I'm sorry but your personal wishes are not relevant in this case.
- She had no wish to be president.
wish noun [ C ] (GREETING)
With best wishes, Louise Foster. 把最誠摯的祝福送給你，路易絲‧福斯特。
wish noun [ C ] (MAGIC)
[ + that ] If I could have just one wish I suppose it would be that all the fighting in the world would stop tomorrow. 如果我只有一個願望可以實現，那我希望世界上所有的戰爭明天都停止。
It's that part of the story where the fairy grants the little girl three wishes. 故事裡的那個片斷中，仙女答應實現小女孩的三個願望。