work noun (ACTIVITY)
I've got so much work to do. 我有一大堆工作要做。
Aileen does most of the work around the house. 阿德里安做大部分的家務。
- In common with many mothers, she feels torn between her family and her work.
- You need to have agile fingers to do this kind of work.
- We had a disagreement over the fee for the work.
- We've finished decorating upstairs but the downstairs still needs some work.
- They pay me next to nothing but I really enjoy the work.
work noun (PLACE)
When does she leave for work? 她甚麼時候去上班？
work noun (CREATION)
The museum has many works by Picasso as well as other modern painters. 這家博物館有很多畢加索的作品，也有不少其他現代畫家的作品。
the poetic works of Tagore 泰戈爾的詩作
- This novel is his best work to date.
- The mature works of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert belong to the Classical period.
- The museum's collection includes works of art from all around the world.
- The exhibition juxtaposes Picasso's early drawings with some of his later works.
- In a coda to the main exhibition are various works which were once attributed to Rembrandt.
work noun (EVERYTHING)
the works informal
work noun (FACTORY)
work noun (MACHINE)
work verb (HAVE EFFECT)
Some people think I'm weird doing meditation, but it works for me and that's all that matters. 有些人認為我進行冥想有點古怪，但這對我有用，這才是最重要的。
- The argument that sanctions should be given more time to work is seductive but fatally flawed.
- In conclusion, I submit that the proposal will not work without some major changes.
- The opposition claimed that the government's education policy was not working.
- My new diet seems to be working. I've lost weight already.
- These tactics worked well in the last match.
work verb (DO JOB)
He works at the hospital. 他在當地的醫院工作。
It's not unusual for a junior doctor to work a 70 or sometimes an 80-hour week. 對於一名初級醫生來說，每週工作70甚或80小時是很平常的。
work verb (OPERATE)
Our phone isn't working. 我們的電話壞了。
I can't get the radio to work. 我怎麼也弄不好這台收音機。
- You're welcome to it - I can never get it to work properly.
- Dust particles must have got into the motor, which is why it isn't working properly.
- How do you work this machine?
- It's a common-or-garden washing machine with just the basic functions, but it works perfectly well.
- The machine works according to the principle of electromagnetic conduction.
work verb (SUCCEED IN BECOMING)
He started as a technician and worked his way up through the company to become managing director. 他從一名技術員做起，一步一步晉升為公司的總經理。
Eventually she worked her way through (= read) the huge amount of technical papers. 最後她終於讀完了一大堆技術論文。
- Sidney ruthlessly worked his way up from the position of junior clerk to chairman of the company.
- She is now a senior executive having worked her way up through the company.
- The splinter had worked its way under his skin.
- It will take all weekend to work through this pile of marking.
- She plans to work her way to the top.
work verb (ARRANGE)