abruptadjectiveuk us /əˈbrʌpt/
abrupt adjective (SUDDEN)
- The car juddered and came to an abrupt halt in the middle of the road.
- There was an abrupt change in her attitude towards me when she heard that I was Alan's girlfriend.
- The party came to rather an abrupt ending when Tom's parents came home.
- There was an abrupt fall in our sales figures following the bad publicity.
- As you step into the air-conditioned office, there is an abrupt change in temperature.
- ad hoc
- ad lib
- against (all) the odds/against all odds idiom
- all at once idiom
- all of a sudden idiom
- it's just one of those things idiom
- just like that idiom
- make sth up as you go along idiom
- muddle along
- undreamed of
abrupt adjective (UNFRIENDLY)
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: