Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
adverb uk /æbˈstiː.mi.əs.li/ us /æbˈstiː.mi.əs.li/
Examples from literature
- He was sober and abstemious in his food, and simple to an extreme in his garments.
- His life was as abstemious and regular as his means were small.
- It is acknowledged even by his enemies, that in regard to wine, he was abstemious.
- One object that I had in view in adopting my abstemious way of life was to save a little money to buy books.
- Though compactly built, he was generally spare and wasted from incessant studies, hard labor, and an abstemious life.