alliancenoun [ C ]uk /əˈlaɪ.əns/ us /əˈlaɪ.əns/
a military alliance
NATO is sometimes called the Atlantic Alliance.
- All the countries have proclaimed their loyalty to the alliance.
- Religious fanatics have formed an unholy alliance with right wing groups.
- A chain can only be as strong as its weakest link, so we must look at the least committed country to see if the alliance will hold.
- All these different political elements have somehow been yoked together to form a new alliance.
- The party is a loose alliance of environmentalists and left-wingers.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words