allspicenoun [ U ]uk /ˈɔːl.spaɪs/ us /ˈɑːl.spaɪs/
Examples from literature
- Heat enough vinegar to cover it nicely, and put in one ounce of whole spices, pepper, cloves, allspice and mace.
- Mace, cloves and allspice may be added for spiced beef.
- Season with salt and pepper, a pinch of powdered cloves, mace, allspice, and thyme, two bay-leaves, a small bunch of parsley, and two leeks.
- Season with salt, pepper, grated nutmeg, minced parsley, and a pinch of allspice.
- When cold, place in a jar, and pour over it hot vinegar, in which has been scalded a liberal supply of whole cloves, pepper, allspice and white mustard.