aloneadjective [ after verb ], adverbuk /əˈləʊn/ us /əˈloʊn/
A2 without other people:
Do you like living alone?
At last, we're alone together (= there are just the two of us here).
aloneadjective [ after noun ]uk /əˈləʊn/ us /əˈloʊn/
C2 without any others:
- Words alone cannot convey the untold misery endured by people in these refugee camps.
- He truly believes he can cure himself by willpower alone.
- Is it more democratic to hold a referendum, rather than let the government alone decide?
- These problems might not be solved by money alone, but they will assuredly not be solved without it.
- This year alone eight police officers have been killed in the line of duty.