alter verb (CHANGE)
Although the cost of making phone calls is going up, the charge for connecting to the internet will not alter.
- Even a clear finish will alter the colour of wood slightly.
- These are radical changes which will alter the complexion of the British contemporary dance scene.
- You can alter the whole appearance of a room just by lighting it in a certain way.
- Closing the factory would irrevocably alter the character of the local community for the worse.
- Drugs can alter your perception of reality.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words