alternateverbuk /ˈɒl.tə.neɪt/ us /ˈɑːl.t̬ɚ-/
- In this type of mental illness, the usual pattern is bouts of depression alternating with elation.
- Throughout the holiday, the weather alternated between rain and sunshine every day.
- She swam up and down, alternating between crawl and backstroke.
- Saturdays at the club alternate between 1970s disco and house/garage.
- The area boasts miles of unspoilt coastline alternating between cliffs and sandy beaches.
alternateadjective [before noun]uk /ɒlˈtɜː.nət/ us /ɑːlˈtɝː-/
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: