alternativeadjectiveuk /ɒlˈtɜː.nə.tɪv/ us /ɑːlˈtɝː.nə.t̬ɪv/
- High vehicles must take an alternative route because of low clearance under the bridge.
- Government funding of alternative healthcare is virtually non-existent.
- Despite all the advances in modern medicine, demand for alternative therapies and faith healing keeps growing.
- In Los Angeles many companies encourage their employees to use alternative means of transportation, rather than the car.
- Doctors these days tend to be more open-minded about alternative medicine.
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
alternativenoun [C]uk /ɒlˈtɜː.nə.tɪv/ us /ɑːlˈtɝː.nə.t̬ɪv/
- Carob is sometimes used in sweet foods as a healthier alternative to chocolate.
- Solar power is now a viable alternative to oil-fired water heaters.
- The alternative is to tunnel a route through the mountain.
- In the absence of any better alternative, we will have to proceed with the original plan.
- Imposing sanctions is a moderate action when you consider that the alternative is military intervention.