amoebanoun [ C ]plural amoebae uk /-biː/ us amoebas US ameba plural amebae or amebas uk /əˈmiː.bə/ us /əˈmiː.bə/
adjective US also amebic uk /əˈmiː.bɪk/ us /əˈmiː.bɪk/
- The amoebae, one celled animals, smaller than a small pin-head, have existed unchanged since life began.
- These conditions he has shared with all forms of life from the amoeba to the civilized nation.
- Up to the present it has been assumed that the environment of the amoeba is that to which it has become adapted and which is favorable to its existence.
- We have the one-celled amoeba, the microscopic animals, and the lowest forms of animal life.
- When such a bacterium comes in contact with an amoeba, it is taken into its body by becoming enclosed in processes which the amoeba sends out.