anchornoun [C]uk /ˈæŋ.kər/ us /-kɚ/
anchor noun [C] (ON A BOAT)
- The captain of the ship ordered his men to lower the anchor.
- The missing boat was last seen at anchor off the north Wales coast.
- There's a huge metal anchor on display in the entrance to the Maritime Museum.
- The ship's anchor is attached to an enormous length of chain.
- For several hours the oil rig was adrift and dragging its anchors in the North Sea.
anchor noun [C] (SUPPORT)
anchorverbuk /ˈæŋ.kər/ us /-kɚ/
anchor verb (FASTEN)
anchor verb (BROADCAST)