anchornoun [ C ]uk /ˈæŋ.kər/ us /ˈæŋ.kɚ/
anchor noun [ C ] (ON A BOAT)
- The captain of the ship ordered his men to lower the anchor.
- The missing boat was last seen at anchor off the north Wales coast.
- There's a huge metal anchor on display in the entrance to the Maritime Museum.
- The ship's anchor is attached to an enormous length of chain.
- For several hours the oil rig was adrift and dragging its anchors in the North Sea.
anchor noun [ C ] (SUPPORT)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words