anchoritenoun [ C ]uk /ˈæŋ.kər.aɪt/ us /ˈæŋ.kɚ.aɪt/
Examples from literature
- Hitherto he had chosen to live the life of an anchorite, and had abjured the society of women.
- The anchorites secluded themselves in hermitages.
- The church itself was frequently the habitation of the anchorite.
- They, too, constructed cells, like ancient anchorites, and cultivated the fields for bread.
- What can an immured anchorite know of the vast mysteries of the wind-borne spirits?
- You live like an anchorite.