answernoun [C]uk /ˈɑːn.sər/ us /ˈæn.sɚ/
answer noun [C] (REACTION)
answer noun [C] (SOLUTION)
- I spent hours doing that calculation and I still got the answer wrong.
- Surely the answer's obvious - or are you being deliberately obtuse?
- You got 20 percent of the answers right - that means one in every five.
- You'll never guess the answer - do you give in?
- His nimble mind calculated the answer before I could key the numbers into my computer.
answerverbuk /ˈɑːn.sər/ us /ˈæn.sɚ/
answer verb (REACT)
answer verb (BE SUITABLE FOR)
answer verb (MATCH)
- a passing resemblance idiom
- be in good company idiom
- be in the same ballpark idiom
- be nothing/not much/very little in it idiom
- be two of a kind idiom
- even (sth) out
- homologous series
- in line with sth idiom
- match up