anxietynounuk /æŋˈzaɪ.ə.ti/ us /-t̬i/
anxiety noun (WORRY)
- I regret any anxiety or concern that I may, unwittingly, have caused.
- Jack observed a look of anxiety on his brother's face.
- She felt acute anxiety at his behaviour.
- Women tend to internalize all their anxiety and distress - men hit out.
- Years of anxiety have lined her brow with deep furrows.
anxiety noun (EAGERNESS)
- She eased the key into the lock, anxious not to wake anyone.
- The mayor and the city council are anxious to avoid getting entangled in the controversy.
- The universities are anxious to preserve their autonomy from central government.
- I'm anxious to avoid the motorway at rush hour.
- We left early, anxious to make it back to Florence before sundown.