appearance noun (BEING PRESENT)
put in/make an appearance
- Madonna made a guest appearance at the concert.
- The health minister made a personal appearance at the hospital.
- Top footballers make regular appearances on TV.
- The endless public appearances are an inevitable part of an election campaign.
- Her last concert appearance in Britain was no ordinary performance.
appearance noun (WAY YOU LOOK)
The large car outside the house gave the appearance of wealth (= suggested wealthy people lived there).
Appearances can be deceptive.
appearances [ plural ]
to/from all appearances
- Don't be fooled by his appearance.
- She had a decidedly down-at-heel appearance.
- You really need to smarten up your appearance, Chris - and the same goes for the rest of you.
- I bought these shoes for their practicality not their appearance.
- The outward appearance of the building has not changed at all in 200 years.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words