approximateadjectiveuk /əˈprɒk.sɪ.mət/ us /-ˈprɑːk-/
- The way that the trunk of a tree divides into smaller and smaller branches and twigs is an approximate fractal pattern.
- You only need to submit a plan with approximate dimensions at this stage.
- The recipe only gives an approximate cooking time.
- The following costings for the project are only an approximate guide.
- We can only give an approximate idea of cost at this stage.
approximateverb [I + adv/prep, T]uk /əˈprɒk.sɪ.meɪt/ us /-ˈprɑːk-/ formal