arithmeticnoun [ U ]uk /əˈrɪθ.mə.tɪk/ us /əˈrɪθ.mə.tɪk/
I've never been very good at arithmetic.
an arithmetic test
- What does all that add up to? I'm afraid my mental arithmetic isn't very good.
- These kids have had seven years in school and they can't even do some simple arithmetic!
- She was taught reading, writing and arithmetic at the village school.
- He tried to do his tax form but he couldn't work out all the arithmetic.
- I couldn't work in a post office - there is too much arithmetic involved!
adjective uk /ˌær.ɪθˈmet.ɪ.kəl/ us /ˌer.ɪθˈmet̬.ɪ.kəl/ also arithmetic, uk /ˌær.ɪθˈmet.ɪk/ us
adverb uk /ˌær.ɪθˈmet.ɪ.kəl.i/ us /ˌer.ɪθˈmet̬.ɪ.kəl.i/